Friday, March 06, 2009

Can I have your maintenance department please…

For YEARS, I have been getting phone calls like this. It’s maintenance, or toner, or something. You only get scammed once and yes I did, in the early ‘90’s, so that tells you how long these types of company’s have been around.

The toner guy calls and says that he is your toner supplier and that he needs to send you your toner. You say OK, he asks for your machine make and model and you give it to him and then he sends you your toner with an outrageous bill.

Consider yourself SCAMMED.

Flip to 11 or 12 years later, and I come to work for this company. We are a small company and so we don’t have set departments like HR, IT, Maintenance, etc. So you have to ask for a little bit of information from the caller in order to put them through to the right person.

It didn’t take long before the calls started.

Scammer: “Can I speak to your maintenance manager please”
Me: “We don’t have a maintenance manager, what is the nature of your call?”
Scammer: “I want to speak to whoever is in charge of your maintenance”
Me: “You will have to be more specific, so that I can direct your call to the proper person”

By this point scammer gets pissed and either hangs up, calls me a name, or tells me off.

So I get the call this morning.

Scammer: “I’m looking for Chester”
Me: “I’m sorry, we don’t have anyone here by that name”
Scammer: “Oh, maybe I have the name wrong, I was speaking to him the other day, the maintenance manager”
Me: “What company are you calling from?”
Scammer: “XXX”
Me: “And what is the nature of your call?”
Scammer hangs up and I laugh my ass off.

IDIOT.

No comments: